Monday 2 April 2012

A chilly weekend

Two days back at work and then it was a mad rush to get the lorry ready for the first outing of the season.
My brain really hasn't engaged yet as after turning up in time for the afternoon session at tournament stud, I managed to forget electric fencing tape to pen my horse!! Fortunately I borrowed some from the lovely folks at TS.

Pegging wasn't too bad, but concentration wasn't quite on par!

I was really pleased (and possibly slightly concerned!) to see how well this year's batch of new starters were doing. We have recruited some horseback archers, who seem to have uncanny hand eye co-ordination. In addition is a star from my local VWH riding club, not only dedicated enough to travel everywhere, but also seems to be awesome with the sword!

The evening (drinking) sessions are always my favourite part of camping and pegging and after the gorgeous weather of the UK and India I was thinking we could sit around the fire. Despite leaving and army major and 14 year boy with petrol together, the fire was rather limp and miserable. The the temperature plummeted.

Never fear the lorry has diesel heating and I even checked it the night before.... So it started and died and refused to talk to me! Despite boiling the kettle a lot this was not going to combat the temperature, I had a sleeping bag rather than my full gear and it was FREEZING.

No literally! See the pic, from India to this argh! And my tummy is not quite right, so a 1am freezing visit was taking the biscuit

I was a zombie the following day, and had to break ice on Chally's bucket!

Pegging did not go well, although to be fair I couldn't feel my toes until the third discipline.
SLR was a disaster, apparently not firing your gun since September and not riding your horse for 10 days was not a recipe for success and after the first shot (got the balloon!) the steering went....

So I cribbed a tip from one of my peers who just completed a near perfect round and have bought some massive sheepskin ear plugs from eBay (for Chally not me!!)

I have 4 weeks to get my act together for the qualifier for Windsor, called "Aldershot", but held this year in Melton on the 29th April


No comments:

Post a Comment