Sunday 22 April 2012

Preparation for Aldershot

The first UK pegging event is next weekend, and most of my energy has been focused on gun training this week. I have been doing extensive equine ear plug testing, and the results will be on here shortly.

I also have a new lance to test this week, Harrison rods have sent me a beautiful piece of carbon and my father was able to make this into a lance in just over an hour. This is exciting as peggers don't have easy access to sectional lances, which makes fitting lances into normal vehicles or taking on aircraft can be challenging as they exceed the 1.9m set by most airlines


Lances are something you cannot easily just purchase, so most peggers are adept at DIY projects, (or know someone who can take care of this for them!). The material choices are bamboo (ideally solid), aluminium or carbon fibre. 

I am mulling over my saddle choices for Aldershot (which is in Melton Mowbray this year), at the moment I still have the WOW stock saddle, but I also have Chally's normal WOW jumping saddle. I do think the stock helps you reach, but would require a saddle change for SLR as you cannot (comfortably!) jump in them.

At the moment the weather looks pretty unkind, so I am hoping that this show still goes ahead, my lorry doesn't sink and we don't get too wet. This time last year it was almost barbecue weather, what a contrast!

Talking of lorries, mine is once again being repaired, it has spent weeks fixing various problems. At the moment it leaks.. badly! This appears to be from PRB installing solar panels but drilling rather large unsealed holes in my roof, so these are being sealed from inside and out. Whilst I am at it I have splashed out on some insulation - possibly linked to the -1oC experience

The downside is that the lorry won't come back until Friday, which means I don't have long to clean and pack for the trip to Melton Mowbray, so I need to be super organised, I think this week will be constructing check-lists!


No comments:

Post a Comment