Wednesday 19 February 2014

Day 5 Pakistan - Second Day of Competition

So you get a 2 for 1 today, as I failed to blog yesterday due to getting back at past midnight!

Brits waiting to run rings
So yesterday started with the rings competition, which ran relatively smoothly. The Brits performance was reasonable, I got 0,6,6 twice as the first ring eluded me both times which is most frustrating, Michael did better with 0,6,6 and then corrected to 6,6,6 (there was an optical illusion on the gallows!)
Adrian didn't do quite so well but added points on both runs, but struggled with his younger horse, and Jacky has a huge problem as her pony is around 13.2-14hh and therefore underarm was impossible, but Jacky has never been trained in overarm so gave it a go, and also scored on both runs, getting one ring for the first time overarm!

So not enough for medals, but we are chipping away at the points and believe we should be ahead of Germany and USA.

Next came Sword and we did 3 runs before lunch, where everyone in the team was contributing more points, but again no full houses to put us into individual medals

Lunch was brief and back at the guest house before heading out again

Ridden horse dancing
We watched a bit of the local competition and horse dancing before kicking off with the second round of Individual sword.

However there was a bit of a problem, as the Yemen team horse did not arrive, and this was the one which scored 6,6,6 in the morning, so obviously there were extremely upset at it not turning up. However they showed this by throwing down their swords in front of the judges and untacking and letting loose 3 stallions. Now I am all for proper objections, but animal welfare is our priority so I strongly disapprove of this behavior.

The competition carried on until dusk, and the Brits did a storming run with everyone picking up, so we added lots more points to the total (see video on facebook!). I scored 6,0,6 and 2,6,6 however I've probably lost 5 points in time penalties which is rather painful - unfortunately despite me trying my best to encourage him I don't think he can make the time (hence the trilling on the video!!)

In the evening Sheikh Mohammed Al-Fairuz, head of the International Tent Pegging Federation arrived, so hopefully all problems with Yemen have now been diplomatically solved and we will move forward with making this a successful competition.

The evening was a splendid event hosted by Raja Zarrar, with amazing food and the chance to look at his lovely horses and greyhounds.

I was slightly caught off guard when Norman pulled me aside and made me stand on bricks to practice my drill and prove his point about balance and the British drill tendency to promote reaching. All interesting stuff when you are in the middle of a party trying not to fall off bricks - I'll add it to the new UK tent pegging party program!!




No comments:

Post a Comment